Welcome to my website
Dr. Ali Osman Topal
Senior Lecturer at Computer Engineering Department,
EPOKA University, Albania
I received my bachelor's degree in Electrics and Electronics Engineering (Gaziantep University - 2000). Then I completed my master and PhD's education at the Epoka University in Computer Engineering. I have received my PhD in April 2017. Currently, I am head of Computer Engineering Department, and head of IT office at Epoka University.
My doctoral dissertation examines the evolutionary computations and nature inspired algorithms (meta-heuristics). In my research, I have developed a new meta-heuristic algorithm for global numerical optimization. It has been extensively evaluated on high-dimensional optimization problems and compared with well-known algorithms. We have developed our own framework in the Python environment to run the tests. The research results have been published in refereed journal publications and presented at conferences. My future research plans are aimed at using meta-heuristic and machine learning techniques on real world problems.
· Optimization Algorithms for engineering problems
· Artificial Intelligence / Machine Learning
Object Oriented Programming Undergraduate
Signals and Systems Undergraduate
Artificial Intelligence Undergraduate
Digital Signal Processing Undergraduate
Control Systems Undergraduate
Data Structures Undergraduate
Advanced Control System Master
Machine Learning Master/PHD
· As project team member in the project "Personalized and/or Generalized Integrated Biomaterial Risk Assessment" (PANBioRA) that is conducted under the Horizon 2020 topic titled “Development of a reliable methodology for better risk management of engineered biomaterials in Advanced Therapy Medicinal Products and/or Medical Devices” where Epoka Univesity participated as a partner institution. 2017
· As technical expert represents Epoka University in Erasmus + project with the title “Strategic Support on Strengthening the Quality Assurance Structures at the Private Higher Education Institutions in Albania”. 2016
· As project team member in “Knowledge for Resilient Society” (K-Force) project financed by Erasmus+ Programme, where Epoka University participated as a partner institution.
· As project team member in “Development and Implementation of Multimedia and Digital TV curricula” (DIMTV) project financed by Erasmus+ Programme, where Epoka University participated as a partner institution.
1. Topal, A.O. Dynamic Virtual Bats Algorithm, Swarm Intelligence Algorithms. 121-134, CRC Press (2020)
2. Topal, A.O. Improved Dynamic Virtual Bats Algorithm for Identifying a Suspension System Parameters Journals. Swarm Intelligence Algorithms: Modifications and Applications, 133. CRC Press (2020)
3. Topal, A.O., Yildiz, Y.E. and Ozkul, M., (2017, October, SF-USA). Improved Dynamic Virtual Bats Algorithm for Global Numerical Optimization. In Proceedings of the World Congress on Engineering and Computer Science (Vol. 1). Springer (2019)
4. Polisi, Xh., Topal, A. O., Uka, A. Discovering critical proteins in the learning process in a Down Syndrome model of mouse through machine learning. Journal of Medical Systems, (2020) Springer, Impact Factor: 2.415. (Under Process)
5. Yildiz, Y. E., Topal, A. O. Large Scale Continuous Global Optimization based on micro Differential Evolution with Local Directional Search. Information Sciences,477, 533-544. (2019) ELSEVIER, Impact Factor: 5.524.
6. Bolat, Berna, Oğuz ALTUN, Pablo CORTES, Yunus Emre YILDIZ, and Ali Osman TOPAL. "A Comparison of Metaheuristics for the Allocation of Elevators to Calls in Buildings, pages: 519-529." Politeknik Dergisi 20, no. 3 (2017).
7. Topal, A. O., & Altun, O. (2016). A novel meta-heuristic algorithm: Dynamic Virtual Bats Algorithm. Information Sciences, 354, 222-235. ELSEVIER, Impact Factor: 5.524.
8. Topal, A. O., Altun, O., & Yildiz, Y. E. (2015). Micro bat algorithm for high dimensional optimization problems. International Journal of Computer Applications, 122(12), Impact Factor: 0.752.
9. Topal, A. O., Altun, O., & Yildiz, Y. E. (2015). An Effective Hybrid of Bat Algorithm and Hill Climbing for Global Optimization of High-dimensional Functions. Journal of Natural and Technical Sciences, vol. 20, no. 2.
10. Yildiz, Y. E., Altun, O., & Topal, A. O. (2015). Computational Chemotaxis in Micro Bacterial Foraging Optimization for High Dimensional Problems: A Comparative Study on Numerical Benchmark. International Journal of Computer Applications, 124(4).
11. Yildiz, Y. E., Altun, O., & Topal, A. O. (2015). The effects of Crossover and Mutation Rates on Chemotaxis Differential Evolution Optimization Algorithm. Journal of Natural and Technical Sciences, vol. 20, no. 1.
12. Topal, A. O., Altun, O., & Yildiz, Y. E. (2015, Durres – Albania). Empirical Study of Dynamic Virtual Bats Algorithm (DVBA). International Scientific Conference: Computer Science’2015 (pp. 236-241). (BEST PAPER AWARD)
13. Yildiz, Y. E., Altun, O., & Topal, A. O. (2015, August, Istanbul-Turkey). Improved Chemotaxis Differential Evolution Optimization Algorithm. International Conference on Computing and Informatics, (ICOCI), 2015 (pp. 312-317).
14. Yıldız, Y.E., Altun, O. and Topal, A.O., (2015, Durres – Albania). Chemotaxis Differential Evolution Optimization Algorithm: Comparative study on mutation strategies.
15. Topal, A. O., & Altun, O. (2014, September, Salerno-Italy). Dynamic virtual bats algorithm (dvba) for global numerical optimization. In Intelligent Networking and Collaborative Systems (INCoS), 2014 International Conference on (pp. 320-327). IEEE.
16. Topal, A. O., Altun, O., & Terolli, E. (2014, October, Pisa-Italy). Dynamic virtual bats algorithm (dvba) for minimization of supply chain cost with embedded risk. In Modelling Symposium (EMS), 2014 European (pp. 58-64). IEEE.